I found 7 best IDEs and text editors for python. IDEs and text editors make coding fun!! But somewhat you wondering, How?
Text editor and IDEs have some basic features like,
- Syntax Highlighting
- Code Folding
- Markup Languages
That’s why it makes coding fun.
When you install python, IDLE comes with it. It has no Syntax highlighting, code folding, and even no auto-completion. That’s why it’s boring and we need to use a text editor or IDEs.
Without wasting more time let’s start the countdown. But did you know what’s the difference between a text editor and IDE?
Okay, Don’t worry. Let me explain.
IDE vs Text Editor
Text Editor: A text editor is a tool that is used to write and edit code. They are lightweight and can be great for learning. However, once your program gets larger, you need to test. Most of the code editor or text editor does not support debugging, that’s where IDEs come in.
IDE: It stands for Integrated Development Environment. It understands your code much better than a text editor. It has some extra features such as build automation, code linting, testing, and debugging.
Best IDEs And Text Editors For Python Countdown
Let’s start our countdown with number 7. This will include both IDEs and Text or Code editors.
Notepad++ is a free source code editor and Notepad replacement that supports several languages. Running in the MS Windows environment, its use is governed by GPL License.
Notepad++ can be only installed in Windows machines. Unfortunately, it’s impossible to download Notepad++ for Mac.
Some amazing features of notepad++:
- Finding and replacing strings of text with regular expressions.
- Guided indentation.
- Line bookmarking.
- Simultaneous editing.
- Split screen editing and synchronized scrolling.
Atom is a good editor for many coding fields, from software scripting to web development. It’s 100% free and open source. Atom is cross-platform for Windows, Linux, and OSX. It is popular because of its flexibility and readiness for customization.
Some coll features of Atom text editor:
- It’s free and open source
- Atom is User-friendly and customizable
- Cross platform
Sublime Text is a sophisticated text editor for code, markup, and prose. You’ll love the slick user interface, extraordinary features, and amazing performance.
Sublime can be downloaded in windows, Mac OS and also in Linux.
Some amazing features of sublime text editor:
- Goto Definition.
- Multiple Selections.
- Command Palette.
- Powerful API and Package Ecosystem.
- Customize Anything.
- Split Editing.
- Instant Project Switch.
Vim is a highly configurable text editor built to make creating and changing any kind of text very efficient. It is included as “vi” with most UNIX systems and with Apple OS X.
Vim is rock stable and is continuously being developed to become even better
Some features of vim:
- Persistent, multi-level undo tree
- Extensive plugin system
- Support for hundreds of programming languages and file formats
- Powerful search and replace
- Integrates with many tools
Spyder is a powerful scientific environment written in Python, for Python, and designed by and for scientists, engineers and data analysts.
It offers a unique combination of the advanced editing, analysis, debugging, and profiling functionality of a comprehensive development tool with the data exploration, interactive execution, deep inspection, and beautiful visualization capabilities of a scientific package.
Features of Spyder IDE:
- syntax coloring for Python, C/C++, Fortran;
- breakpoints and conditional breakpoints (debugger: pdb);
- powerful dynamic code introspection features (powered by rope), including code completion and calltips;
- integrated pylint code analysis;
- class and function browser;
- code outline explorer: functions, classes, if/else/try/… statements;
- occurrence highlighting;
- to-do lists (TODO, FIXME, XXX);
- errors and warnings with real-time code analysis (provided by pyflakes);
- opportunity to run a whole script or any portion of it from the editor;
- code completion and automatic link to documentation through the Object Inspector.
2. Visual Studio
Visual Studio dev tools & services make app development easy for any platform & language.
Features of Visual Studio:
- Improved IntelliSense performance for C++ files
- Local development with many common emulators
- Simplified test access in Solution Explorer
- Git management and repo creation in the IDE
- Kubernetes support now included in Microsoft Azure workload
PyCharm provides smart code completion, code inspections, on-the-fly error highlighting and quick-fixes, along with automated code refactoring and rich navigation capabilities
Some features of PyCharm:
- Intelligent Coding Assistance
- Built-in Developer Tools
- Web Development
- Scientific Tools
- Customizable and Cross-platform IDE
Posts You May Like: