If-else in python used to check conditions. These statements are also used to make decisions.
before we move further have a quick look at comparison operators, which we will use in if-else statements.
|Equal to||==||a == b|
|Not equal to||!=||a != b|
|Greater than||>||a > b|
|Less than||<||a < b|
|Greater than or equal to||>=||a >= b|
|Less than or equal to||<=||a <= b|
There are 7 Types of operators in python including conditional operators.
Now, Let’s have a look at syntax :
This is the syntax of if-elif-else statement.
#If Statement if condition: code #elif Statement elif condition: code #Else Statement else: code
Flowchart of If-elif-else
This is the flowchart of how this conditional statement(if-elif-else) works.
Think, you have to validate the number. Here are the conditions :
- If number is 5, print “Number is 5”
- Number is less than 5, print “Number is less than 5”
- Number is greater than 5 , print “Number is greater than 5”
And here is the code :
#Initial variable "number" and it's value is 5 number = 5 if number < 5: print("Number is less than 5") elif number == 5: print("Number is 5") else: print("Number is greater than 5")
- Here we first take a variable “number” and give it a value 5
- Then we started with if statement which has a condition number < 5, if it will be true then print statement will execute, otherwise it will check for elif statement.
- Now condition number == 5 will true then print statement of elif statement will be execute otherwise else statement will execute.
This is a quick example of if-elif and else statement.
Nested if-else Statement in Python
If we have if-elif-else in another if-elif-else then it called nested in programming
Let’s have a look ate example,
number = int(input("Enter Number :")) if number >= 0: if number == 0: print("Number is Zero") else: print("Number is greater then 0") else: print("Number is Negative")
Here we used input() function which is in-built in python and it is used for taking input from user.
Enter Number : 5 Number is greater then 0
Enter Number : 0 Number is Zero
Enter Number : -8 Number is Negative
This is all about if-elif-else conditional statements in python.
- Take input hour from user
- If hour < 12 print “Good Morning”
- If 12 < hour < 5 “Good Afternoon”
- Else print “Good Evening”